The Best Questions To Ask During an Assisted Living Tour
Is it time for senior living for a loved one? If so, you may be overwhelmed by the array of choices available. It’s important to know, however, that not all elderly care options are created equal. In fact, the differences may astound you.
If you need to know what to look for in assisted living, how to compare assisted living facilities, or which questions to ask on a nursing home tour, we’re here for you. Check out our helpful guide below.
When going on an assisted living tour, you can expect to arrive and be greeted by team members who will share more about their community. Upon arrival is a great time to consider if you were greeted warmly, take a look at how residents interact with team members, if they look happy, and how clean the community is.
During the initial introduction, you’ll learn a bit of the background of the team member, be asked some questions, and then begin your tour. You can expect to see various areas of the community, including common spaces, dining areas, activity rooms, and an apartment or residence.
At any point questions come up, you can ask them, and as the tour progresses, you should have a well-rounded understanding of how the community functions and whether or not your loved one could be happy there.
Don’t go into an assisted living visit unprepared. Make sure you know what to look for, what to expect, what to ask, and how to get the most out of your visit. These tips can help:
- Do your research ahead of time to ensure the community offers what is needed both now and in the future
- Read online reviews to get a better picture of how happy families and residents are
- Consider what your loved one’s financial plan is and if they can afford the community
- Drive by to see if the distance is acceptable to you and to explore what the area is like
- Take a few tours without your loved one if they aren’t receptive to the idea of a move
- Attend your tour prepared with a checklist of questions to be answered
Whether you’re considering these questions based on your loved one’s needs and preferences, or it’s a deal breaker before even touring, it’s important to consider a range of questions to ensure you’re visiting the right communities for your loved one’s needs.
- About the community’s history, mission and philosophy
- If assessments are conducted prior to move in
- If there is a waitlist
- What levels of care are offered and if memory care is available if or when it’s needed
- Whether or not pets are allowed and what kind, if your loved one has one
- If moving resources are available
Once you’ve determined the communities you’d like to visit, prepare your list of questions for during your tour. Be sure to ask:
- What activities of daily living they help with
- If there is a nurse on staff to administer medications if needed
- What training is required of team members
- How long team members generally work there
- What a day in the life of a resident looks like
- What types of floor plans or residences are available and if there are any upgrades that can be requested
- If there’s anything not included in the cost
- What types of events, social activities and programs are provided
- If you can have a copy of some previous activity calendars
- What meal options look like and if menu items can be customized
- If they provide transportation services if needed
- What the safety protocols and emergency procedures are
- What a move consists of
- What they can bring from home
- If they can put you in touch with a current resident or family member
- If there are programs to get new residents better acquainted with the community
If you don’t get all your assisted living questions answered, don’t hesitate to call to speak with a staff member.
Team members should be on hand to answer family members’ most pressing questions about their senior care services, living options and the types of activities and social activities they provide.
When it’s time to choose an assisted living facility or a senior healthcare community, we want you to feel confident in your decision. Cascade Living Group offers high-quality assisted living at a variety of our locations.
Call us to learn more or discover tips, schedule a tour, or to form your checklist for assisted living facility tours. Or, you can even download our checklist to take with you, ensuring you don’t forget a single detail.